25 January 2010

Quasinesting

Bruce Dickinson: Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!

It’s true. I do think I have a fever. But the cure is not more cowbell. Well, maybe it could be on an alternative planet, where cowbell is the Advil for its inhabitants. Or it could act as a cure all, sound wave technology medicine. Who knows.

SO ANYWAY, as per the usual, I am surrounded by a variety of people. When I say variety, I mean that everyone is in a different stage of his or her life. Lately, it seems like I’m around a lot of people who are getting married or are having children or already are married and have children. I really enjoy getting to spend time with these family units, but I think they are starting to rub off on me.

It seems that I have caught the nesting fever.

That’s right. Nesting. For those of you who are not familiar with the nesting habit, please refer to this informative Wikipedia article. Even though I am not with child, or even engaged or married, I find myself obsessively cleaning the apartamneto, sprucing it up and cleaning other people’s houses. For reals, y’all! On Friday, I was babysitting and I cleaned their entire kitchen! Dishes, counters, floors- check!

Then today, I was in my local JoAnn fabric, craft and junk store. As I was wandering around, I noticed the home wares sale section. Normally, I would have passed this section up, because normally I think home wares are a waste of money. But today was the day for home wares. I slowly approached the section, taking care not to startle its fake canaries, and also noting how well- organized it was. Then, I saw it: the “Shabby Chic” section. It stared at me with its pale color scheme, bold designs, and rustic decorativeness. Its 70% off sign also lured me in. Punk. Of course, one piece caught my eye, so much that all of the other pieces seemed to disappear. A 12” creamed- colored metal star. My mind instantly thought, “Hey, that sure would look nice with my new metal bed frame.”

What the hey?

I don’t usually think like that. Am I changing?! Am I growing up?! I think I am, because I left the store with that star. And I liked it. I also got what I went into the store for in the first place, but that isn’t nearly as interesting. I guess I have subconsciously come to realize that my apartment is my home. I'll be living in it for a while, so why not make it home-y. Hallsville is no longer home, which is sad, but it isn't the place I go home to at the end of the day.

I will forever know this as the "Maturing Star of the Future".

No comments:

Post a Comment