07 June 2010

Why 1990?

Sometimes I think that I was born in the wrong decade, or even time period. Mostly, I think this when watching Little Women and Gone With the Wind. Because I mean really, are those movies not great? Every time I visit my parents I have to watch Little Women. Sometimes I watch it every day I'm there. Like this week. Annnd sometimes my head gets stuck in the clouds and my mind begins to wander. Wouldn't it be fun to wear those big dresses and hoops all day? Yes!
Once upon a time (all my life), I lived in the Deep South where there were Civil War re-enactments a-plenty. Luckily, I have a fabulous nerd sister who would dress up for said re-enactment with me. Those were so much fun! Sister friend always got to wear the older-girl-fancy-I'm-looking-for-a-suitor dresses and I got to wear the prairie dresses, which were more appropriate for my age. Doing the hair for these things was fun too. How did women do anything with no curling irons or bobby pins?! We didn't care, and proceeded on with our curling iron and bobby pins. But really, I just liked dressing up for such events because where else do you get to wear a dress with tassels?
I could really see myself living in the Civil War type times. Women got to work with their hands. Their hands! Gardening, sewing, washing. And have you seen the quilts from way back then? They are gorgeous and they know it. I also enjoy how coy women are with men in the movies from this time. "I like you, but my eyes say never." If you are coy with boys now they just move on to the next lady type person. Why no pursuit? Huh?
At the same time, I could never see myself living happily in the Civil War times. I love working with my hands and wearing dresses, but what I love even more is my independence and freedom. A lot of women worked really hard so that I would be able to vote, go to college, and pretty much do whatever I want. Thank you so much lady friends.
Besides, with my sense of wanderlust the people back then would have thought I was all kinds of crazy. On that note, let us end with a Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote:

Bedevere: How do you know she is a witch?
Peasant: She looks like one.
[Crowd indistinctly shouts]
Bedevere: Bring her forward!
Girl: I'm not a witch.
Bedevere: But you are dressed as one...
Girl: They dressed me up like this. [Crowd murmurs]
Girl: And this isn't my nose. This is a false one.
Bedevere: [inspects the nose and confirms] Well?
Peasant: Well, we did do the nose.
Bedevere: The nose?
Peasant: And the hat. She's a witch!
Peasant Crowd: Burn her!
Bedevere: Did you dress her up like this?
Peasant Crowd: No, no, no! [beat] Yes, yes. A bit. But she's got a wart.
Bedevere: Why do you think that she is a witch?
Peasant: Well, she turned me into a newt.
[Bedevere gives him a disbelieving look]
Bedevere: A newt?
[Silence]
Peasant: Well, I got better.
Peasant Crowd: Burn her anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment