15 September 2010

Home Sweet Home

Home is where the heart is, right? I recently discovered that I was a little jealous of Boyfriend. It wasn't his 100+ page thesis that is almost finished I was jealous of. It wasn't that cute girlfriend he has. And no, it wasn't his ability to understand just about anything that I was jealous of. It was his childhood. Don't get me wrong, I had a wonderful childhood and wouldn't trade my memories for anything.
It was just the fact that he and his sister friends were able to grow up in the same house, same church and the same town the whole time. They might not think that's as wonderful as I do, but I have lived in three different states. Where is my home? Is Mississippi my home, because I was born there? Is Louisiana my home, because I went to elementary and middle school there? Is Texas my home because, well, it's Texas?
I love all of those places dearly, but I don't think any of them are my "home." I can't go to any of those places and catch up with all of the people I miss. They are scattered across three states. Even though this is true and it makes me a little sad, moving has been pretty good to me.
In all of my new environments I was able to make great friends and be successful in school. Moving is now no big deal, because I have done it so many times. When we moved to Texas, Mom, Dad and I moved our entire house with a 20' trailer over a few trips. I know how to pack.
Moving so often has also made me realize where my home is. *cheesy alert* Home really is where the heart is! I know I can go to my parent's house and I will receive the same kind of love- no matter what house they live in. They were the same parents on Glen Cove as they were on Sophie Anne and now are on FM 450.
Isn't that nice? I think so.

2 comments:

  1. Sis, I've always felt fortunate that I went to the same school for 12 years with the same people. However, I haven't been back to Mississippi in years, and only stay in touch with a handful of people from there. Home really is where you make it. I'm glad I made mine in Royse City. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...home is where the hardest." - Michael Scott

    ReplyDelete