18 October 2010

Secretariat

Do you give the horse his might?
Do you clothe his neck with a mane?
Do you make him leap like a locust?
His majestic snorting is terrible.
He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength;
He goes out to meet the weapons.
He laughs at fear and is not dismayed;
And he does not turn back from the sword.
Job 39: 19-22 NASB

Disney really took a risk by putting this verse at the beginning of their new movie "Secretariat." They began the movie by showing shots of horses running and Diane Lane doing a voice-over of the verse in Job. It is so fitting for a horse racing movie! They are such powerful animals!

Horses are a lot like giant dogs. Really. I love them and even enjoy just hanging around them. I've been riding off and on since around the age of seven. So when BlogHer sent me an email asking if I wanted to go to a screening of this movie, I responded with a big "heck yes!" I put it on my calendar that very moment. I have a long history with horse movies.

Black Beauty has been my favorite forever and ever. Mom and Dad got me the VHS of it when it first came out, and I'm not sure the tape works anymore. I watched it a lot. Now, I have the DVD of it! Who doesn't love watching the life story of a British horse? The life! The heartbreak! The happily ever after! Black Beauty has everything! "Beauty is as beauty does."

Back to Secretariat- So, I had the screening on my calendar for a long time and was super excited about it. The night came and I wanted to represent BlogHer well, so I put something other than a t-shirt and jeans on. After I was somewhat gussied up, I headed over to the theater. Let me tell you- I LOVE FREE THINGS. Walking into that $10/ a movie theater without having to pay was so fun. I was feeling pretty important, until I got behind a gaggle of giggly 8-year-olds. But then I felt important again when I was on a "guest list" and had reserved seating. Fancy! My seats were roped off and everything.

The movie began with that verse/ voice-over secene and my expectations were set high. Because really, that is quite the verse. If one decides to use it in a movie, one must have a good movie for me. In my opinion. Luckily for Disney, the movie was good! The horses (and horse dummies) were beautiful. I loved the costumes! The 70s were good times for some clothes. Diane Lane, however, did not bring her A-game to this film. She was a little sketchy. Everyone else did a great job.

You should see Secretariat if you:

  • Like horses.
  • Like giant dogs.
  • Like 70s clothing and hair.
  • Appreciate a good underdog story.
  • want to relive my reserved seating fun.
  • want movie theater popcorn.
Yaaay giant dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment