14 December 2011

I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good

I finally saw the last Harry Potter movie.

Even after reading all of the books and knowing what was going to happen in the last movie, I cried. Why does Hedwig have to die?!! I love those books, and I'm very thankful to have grown up with Harry, Hermoine, and Ron. The first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, came out when I was eight. I think Harry is eleven in the first book, so the characters' lives always seemed to match up with my age group.

My parents would not allow me to read the books when I was little, but I really wished they had let me. I decided to read them my senior year of high school because a) I was eighteen and could do whatever I wanted and b) had a lot of time on my hands, because I had already finished my "real" classes. Even as a senior in high school, I learned so many things from that series.

Harry, Hermoine and Ron have a really great friendship going on throughout the series. As with any characters, they have their problems and they overcome them. They are fiercely loyal to each other, and I think that is an important message. Kids are ruthless to each other, especially girls in my experience, and the books illustrate how to properly tend to a friendship.

As I have mentioned before, I appreciate good, strong women characters. There are not many of them out and about in children's literature. Th HP series has tons of good role models. Set aside their magic skills and they are nice ladies. Hermoine, for goodness sake, could do anything she set her mind to. I know they are characters in a book, but all of the leading ladies (Hermoine, Ginny, Luna, etc.) had very individual personalities and none of the other characters chastised them for it.

Most of the characters have a great work ethic, too. All of the characters who come together to overcome He Who Shall Not Be Named have to work pretty hard to succeed. Ron for instance, is a terrible wizard at the beginning, but by the end is fighting along side Harry and destroying horcruxes. Way to go, Ron! The same for Neville Longbottom.

Thank you, J.K. Rowling.




No comments:

Post a Comment