13 June 2012

Death by Millstone


On Sunday, I got to go to church with Em and Russ. I really like their pastor, and it isn't because he is a former police officer and I feel like I have to like him. I genuinely enjoy his messages.

Anyway, we looked at Judges 9, which tells the story of Abimelech. He was really an awful guy. He killed 69 of his 70 brothers, you guys! Imagine having 70 brothers... He was the first self-declared king of Israel and had quite the thirst for power. I imagine him to have been a very cocky, over-confident sort of guy. During the last few days of his life, he was killing some people and pouring salt on their land to make it infertile and causing general chaos. This was my favorite part of the story:

"53 But a certain woman threw an upper millstone on Abimelech's head, crushing his skull. 54 Then he called quickly to the young man, his armor bearer, and said to him, "Draw your sword an kill me, so that it will not be said of me, 'A woman slew him.'" So the young man pierced him through and he died."NASB

Millstone for the win! My footnotes say that women were sometimes asked to drop things on invading soldiers. That is funny. God decided that that was quite enough from Abimelech and he chose a lady to do the job! I hope her husband made her a new millstone.

4 comments:

  1. What was the pastor's point in reference to Judges 9? (Always wear a hard hat if you live life of iniquity?) How did it apply to the sermon? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Dadster

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a funny way of looking at this story. I sure as heck hope my gravestone never reads 'Death By Millstone'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dad- the sermon was about filling your life with meaningful things, not worldly things. Abimelech filled his life with greed and a yearning for power. He even made fun of God's people at one point in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny... I love the hidden triumphs of women, throughout the bible!

    ReplyDelete