05 October 2012

The Candler Oak

The Candler Oak
Savannah, Georgia is a really cool place. In high school, my art buddies and I always dreamed of going to the Savannah College of Art and Design. While Josh and I were in Savannah one day, we got to see many of SCAD's buildings on a trolley tour we took of the city. That tour was really cool, and we got to see a lot of historical buildings. My favorite historical item was the Candler Oak.

The trolley driver said it was 500 years old, but I was just Googling the tree to make sure I was spelling the name correctly, and the Google says the tree is estimated to be 300 years old. 500 or 300 years old, this tree has been around the block a few times. She has seen Savannah becoming a city, the Civil War, General Sherman, a hospital being built on her roots, the end of segregation- all sorts of things! She was in the news a few years ago when a 77-year-old strapped herself to the tree. I think I would have done the same thing. There is a building on the same property as this oak, which at one time was a hospital, but is now being turned into a condo building. The builders wanted to tear down the tree to make room for more parking spots. Excuse me, but what the heck?

300 year-old-oak tree > parking spots

This time the tree won and when the trolley drove by the condo building was still under construction. It's nice to have new things, but sometimes you need to keep the old to remind you where you have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment