19 December 2012

Books books books

One of my resolutions for this year was to purposefully seek out reading time. I love learning from reading, and had been missing it for the past few years. I also felt like I was getting stupid in some of my other interests while just reading about art all of the time when I was in school. I stumbled across several really great books and some that were not in my taste, but I felt like I needed to finish them to make sure I they weren't my taste.

Books read in 2012:
1. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
     Really funny and a really quick read.
2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
     I agree with everyone else- wonderfully written book that is a good read.
3. At Home by Bill Bryson
     This might be my favorite book of the year. It's packed full of information about why we live the way we do today and where everything came from. Not a quick read, but worth the time.
4. Would It Kill You to Stop Doing That? by Henry Alford
     Very funny, but could also have been a short article?
5. The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
     I'm not sure what this book was about, but it wasn't about hunting or fishing.
6. When Everything Changed by Gail Collins
     Excellent book about women's roles in America and why it has been so hard for us to be ourselves. A must-read for any young feminist.
7. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
     A hilarious autobiography about an ex-Mennonite who ended up using her former religion's values to help her through some tough times in her life. I loved her writer's voice and frankness!
8. Things I Wish I'd have Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman
     This book was pretty typical of the marriage advice books I skimmed, but this was the only one that I thought was worth reading all the way through. 
9. A Girl from Yamhill: A Memoir by Beverly Cleary
     My heart already had a soft spot for Beverly Cleary, but this book made me think that we are kindered spirits. It was also a great picture of American life in the early 20th century.
10. Girls in White Dress by Jennifer Close
     I did not care for this book. It was too "Joy Luck Club" for me and the women characters weren't interesting. But! The cover is really cute!
11. Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
     Mary is one of my favorite authors, so I would probably love anything she wrote. This book is an examination of astronauts and how inconvenient space travel is.
12. How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
     Another must-read for any young feminist (or older?). She completely dissects women's roles in society today and dishes her opinions. I didn't agree with everything she presented in the book, but she does point out a lot of obvious things I don't normally think about.

In Progress as of Mid-December:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
     He starts from the very beginning of Earth and works his way through scientific revolutions, human inventions and modern life. It has been a great read so far!
Green Barbarians by Ellen Sandbeck
     Emily told me I should read this, because I was getting suspicious about some of the products in my toiletries and make-up. It has opened a whole new can of worms, because the author dishes a lot of information out about a little bit of everything. With her claims being completely backed up by research, it's a little alarming how so many of us are poisoning ourselves and how our government doesn't care.

3 comments:

  1. Mindy Kaling, girl crush for the month! LOVING her new show!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great list, I'm going to add some of yours to my own "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuss- tell me what you think about the ones you read!

      Delete