29 January 2013

Chad Wys

 I saw the painting above wandering around on Pinterest with no name or artist name attached, but was drawn to it nonetheless. After remembering that you can upload an image to Google and have it search for the image, I did such and found that it is by Chad Wys. I then wandered around his website and looked at everything. These paintings are so great! I was really excited when I saw that there were so many of them. 
I love that they aren't perfect. That is the point of the painting. Somehow, Wys has made mortality romantic and beautiful. I think it's the way he has laid the splotches of paint down. The paintings are almost decaying, but their tones of honor, sweetness, and beauty still remain in the last few facial/bodily features that are left.
*swoon*

2 comments:

  1. No me gusta. Granted, I am not the educated art critic you are, but I think these paintings are ... a cop-out? Did he do the original classical paintings? If so, did he just paint blobs over his own beautiful work? Or did he use existing work and put blobs on someone else's work? Either way, it doesn't work for me. My emotional reaction to it is irritation.

    But don't you just love Google image search?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understandable! All of the portraits are from Renaissance painters. Here is his artist statement about the project:

    “The literal destruction of an object is secondary to the overall effect created by color (dis)harmony and the overall aesthetic of the reclaimed and reinvented object/experience. I openly play with the allure of foreign and aggressive new colors and forms into otherwise familiar and traditional settings. Barriers and obstacles are thereby created between the viewer and the object through which one must negotiate an understanding of what is both present and hidden."

    ReplyDelete