29 April 2013

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

My Dad and I are pretty similar, with our most similar feature being that we are creatures of habit. I can watch the same movie over and over and over and still love it. One of my most distinct memories growing up was Dad watching 2001: A Space Odyssey every Saturday, without fail. There is a long stretch of that movie that is just beeping, so the movie was not my favorite when I was little. Now that I'm a little older and have not heard the beeping portion of that movie every week, I really enjoy the movie.
The photography of the movie is beautiful. The wider shots are very much set up like still photographs and are full of rich, calm colors. Except for Hal's coloring, which is a foreshadowing fiery red. Something you don't see a lot of in science fiction movies is the intimate human touch that you see a lot of in this movie. I think there is more of that in 2001, because there are so few humans, so the writer wanted to show that the humans have still retained some of their human qualities.

6 comments:

  1. Dave, there is no longer room for both of us on this vessel. You'll have to go. See ya.

    HAL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on a minute. There was also "Hunt for Red October", "Unforgiven", and "Dune".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't always "2001" every Saturday. Sometimes it was "Dune", or "Outland", or "Hunt for Red October", or "Unforgiven", etc.

    Pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . pinggg . . . . . "Open the pod bay door please HAL." It brings back such great memories, doesn't it?

    Dadster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw "2001" when I was a senior in high school.

      Dadster

      Delete
    2. Ok, so it was only MOST weekends. But when I think of Saturdays in Louisiana, I think of beeping and monkeys freaking out...

      Delete
  4. My kids are going to say the same thing about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

    ReplyDelete