18 June 2013

Vacation Bible School 2013

 The church that Josh and I (for me kind of) go to asked me to do the "art direction" for VBS this year. They weren't teaching from the usual Lifeway literature that Baptist churches across America usually do, so the VBS team had to come up with everything from scratch. This included the theme for the week, which ended up being the most random I have ever seen- "Yangtze River Adventure" or "Camping in China along a polluted river." It was a little challenging coming up with crafts for the kids and dreaming up decorations, but I got the job done.
 I wanted to make an aquarium for the river life, so this is what I came up with. The only problem with making a Yangtze River aquarium is that this river has been heavily polluted over the years, so only a handful of animals still live in the river. Considering that, I think it looks pretty good for a polluted river.
 Some kids from the church's Chinese Fellowship helped me make all of the animals and they did a fantastic job. I'm so thankful they were able to come. Also, one of the boys that helped was excellent at drawing and cross hatches 10x better than I ever will.
 This is my little fox I drew and painted. Jules Buck Jones would be so proud. All of our decorations are supposed to go to another church, but I'm not sure I can part with this guy. I also mixed his fox red paint just for him and it's pretty close to fox red.
 This is a musk deer, and the only photo I could find to draw from was of one sitting down, so I don't know what its legs look like, which in the end added a little variety to the animals.
 This is Dale the owl pillow modeling one of the craft examples of porcupine hats. Josh's modeling services were unavailable. This is my favorite craft I came up with. I think Dale enjoys it too. I also had pre-made cyanotype paper ordered, so that I could force my love of classical photography methods onto young, innocent children.
These are the fish name tags I drew. Each fish is for a different age group- minnow, trout, bass and salmon.

I hope the kids enjoy everything!

2 comments:

  1. wow, so awesome you came up with all that, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I kind of like you.

    ReplyDelete