09 December 2013

My Dear Grandad.

 We lost my Grandad this morning.
He was a great Grandad and I will miss him a lot.
He was always a very stoic man, which was something I didn't understand up until a few years ago.
He started telling me his family history and showing me photos from his childhood a few years ago.
Little Grandad on the left.
His Mom died after having his little sister, so his Aunts helped take care of him, his siblings and his Dad.
Even though he had a hard childhood, he grew up to become a fine man.
He played baseball and football in high school- even stayed a year longer in high school to play baseball.
He accepted the Lord somewhere along the way and was a great example of a Godly man.
After high school he married my Granny and joined the military.
He served in the Seabees and helped build the bases where the Hiroshima bombs were held.
After serving his country, he worked at a chemical plant in East Texas for several decades.
All of his hard work paid off and he was able to retire super early.
Grandad relaxing as a young man after getting his wisdom teeth removed (I think that's what he told me)
He enjoyed keeping up a large garden with my Granny, watching baseball, reading historical fiction, fishing and telling family stories.
He also enjoyed a Blue Bell Fudgesicle every night before going to sleep.
We were always greeted with a big hug and a kiss on the cheek when visiting him and Granny in East Texas.
Every summer visit we paid, he took me fishing on one of our family ponds. Even though we are both quiet people, it was good, quiet bonding time.
Almost as soon as we would get into town when visiting, he would take me to the miniature horse farm in town to look at all of them.
Baby Grandad


When my family finally got to move to East Texas, we got to go over to Granny and Grandad's house all the time. One time after I got home from school, Grandad called me and said that I needed to come over right away. When I got to their house, Grandad told me we had to be very quiet and led me out to this area where the grass was really high in their pasture. He folded the grass down and there was a little fawn sitting in the grass. That was the sweetest moment and I will remember it always.




My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:26 NASB

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. This is a wonderful tribute to his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, JuMo! Hugs to Granny and my East Texas family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful memorial to grandad

    ReplyDelete