22 September 2014

Horseback Riding in Sequoia National Forest


Josh riding Billy
Me riding Nuisance
 HOOORRRRSSSEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!
The last stop on our California Adventure was Camp Nelson, California in the Sequoia National Forest. It was so beautiful up there, but definitely very dry. I jump at any chance to get myself on a horse, so we went trail riding with the Golden Trout Wilderness Pack Team. It was quite the adventure. To foreshadow, my horse's name was Nuisance. 

We arrived at the pack station a few minutes late, and then waited a little while longer to get on the horses. I didn't realize it at the time, but they gave us no instruction on how to ride horses. I mean, I know how to ride, but poor Josh hasn't ridden very much. Luckily, he is a smart guy and remembered how to ride from the few rides he has gone on.

So, we're on the horses, headed out to the trail and the guide stops and says, "What trail do you guys want to go on? I've been wanting to find a way to get to this one look out point, but I have no idea how long it will take." Josh and I are usually up for an adventure, so we agreed to try this new path. The ride we signed up for was a half day ride and was supposed to be 3 or 4 hours. We ended up riding for 5 hours! That was the roughest trail ride I've ever been on, but it was so fun.

My horse would walk really slowly for a while, then to catch up with the guide I would get him to trot/canter. When I first got on him I thought he was a Quarter Horse, but his trot gait was so smooth. The guide said that he was a Thoroughbred, which the smooth gait could come from? I'd never met an actual mustang before, so I was quite pleased that the guide's horse was one. He had just gotten the horse, James Dean, from a buddy and was trying to train him to his desires. JD was a beautiful horse, but very shy and skittish. I didn't ask about Josh's horse, but he looked a little older, but very similar to my horse.

After climbing through the jungle that is Sequoia National Forest, we finally made it to the lookout point that the guide was aiming for. It was such a beautiful view. We were able to use Josh's map and the texture of the tree tops to find all of the Giant Sequoia Groves below.

1 comment: