28 July 2015

Chicago: Day Three, Part Deux

We spent a few hours in the Art Institute of Chicago on Sunday afternoon. That is a beautiful museum. Their main marketing slogan is "Number one museum in the world." I don't know about that #1 business, but it was a really great museum. Grant Wood's American Gothic does not disappoint in person! To my great surprise, they had a collection of Degas' ballerina paintings. Last time I saw them, I was 5 or 6, lived in Mississippi and asked my mom, "Why are we here?" I think I enjoyed them a lot more this time. Many of the pieces we studied in school were here, so as usual, it was exciting to see them in person.
William Eggleston!!!
Moonrise in the New Forest by Theodore Roussel
The Cafe by Fernand Lungren
Holla atcha New Mexico! Red and Pink Rocks and Teeth by Georgia O'Keeffe
Nighthawks by Edward Hopper
Water Lily Pond by Claude Monet
Self Portrait by Vincent van Gogh
An Afternoon on the Island of the La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Some great works! Definitely want to visit Chicago, and will add this to the list. :)

    ReplyDelete