03 May 2016

Confession #83

Mrs. Marcy's mom and stepdad in our current front yard; May 1985
I have always been jealous of people who have all of their grandparents and get to live by one or both sets of them. Growing up, we lived 5 hours away from my mom's parents and about 10 hours from my dad's mom. It was a real treat to be able to live in the same town as my Granny and Grandad during high school! I think living away from my own personal old people has made me really enjoy other people's old people.

Our landlords have been my surrogate grandparents lately. They have lived in Santa Fe their whole lives, raised three boys here and are the nicest people in Santa Fe. Last week, I went over to their house to bring Mrs. Marcy a quilt I finished for her. I ended up staying for three hours! Both of them have so many stories about old Santa Fe. If you think about it, they have lived here since before:

-the lab really got going
-St. Michael's College was SFUAD
-Canyon Road was a thing
-all of the new growth came about in the late 1980s
-I-25 was built
-the neighborhood Josh and I live in was built
-there were multimillion dollar properties in New Mexico
-Georgia O'Keeffe made New Mexico famous

The real treat they had for me was the photo above. In the 1950s, the city of Santa Fe wanted to raze a block of houses that Mrs. Marcy and her mom lived in to build government assisted housing. The city said they could either condemn her house and evict her, or help with purchasing a new home. So, she took the latter and bought the house Josh and I currently live in. She bought it in the late 1950s/early 1960s for (Marcy's approximation) $7,000. That purchase price sounds crazy, because I think this house is valued around $320,000 now!

I love learning where things came from!

No comments:

Post a Comment